We are the Stow Family and this is our story. Our lives are blessed by Love, Joy and Hope. Follow our sometimes interesting stories on loving our two boys, exploring parenthood, and celebrating a little extra - two parents, two boys and an extra chromosome!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The boys...






I'm really starting to get a feel for that phrase - 'the boys...', now that I'm a mom to not only one, but two little boys!


Before my journey into motherhood started, I never gave much thought to whether I wanted boys, girls or both... It never really mattered to me. I truly just wanted healthy children, in whatever form they decided to arrive!

I must admit though, when I found out that our second (and final) baby was also a boy, I did feel a little emotional. I realised that I wouldn't have a little girl, I wouldn't have all the pink stuff - because let's face it, girls clothes are so much cuter than boys! But also, I wasn't going to teach a little girl about life as a woman, help plan her wedding day or give her advice when her first child arrives. None of that... nope.

So, somewhere deep inside, I was a little disappointed that I would not become a mom to a little girl, but I was at the same time exceptionally excited that Malakai would have a brother, someone he could become great friends with.

Once again though, I must admit, I also gave little Harlan a job before he even popped out of my stomach, never mind reached adolescence - Protect Malakai, fight for him, watch over him, love him - always.

Isn't it just bizarre how our minds work? Here I've given Harlan a job before he's even able to speak or walk - willing him to be Malakai's protector and champion, never allowing a bad thing to happen to him.

I think Harlan is up for the job though - the lungs he has on him! Harlan cries with such a force when he's unhappy... I had to laugh when my mother-in-law was convinced he was in excruciating pain, no - I said with experience - no, he's just very very vocal, and quite dramatic with his crying... And he is... believe me!

So, they are my boys, both so different, both so amazing. I dream that one day they will be inseparable. I dream that as much as I want Harlan to protect and guide Malakai, that it is not a one-way-street, and that Malakai will be giving back to his brother in his way - creating a perfectly reciprocal brotherly love.

I know that I'll probably never have a little girl - but my boys are enough thank you. They are just what I needed and they are just perfect for each other.

4 comments:

Deqlan said...

AND WHAT GORGEOUS BOYS THEY ARE - WOW THEY ARE GROWING QUICKY, AND YOU ARE SO RIGHT THEY WILL BOTH HAVE EACH OTHERS BACKS ALWAYS!

Lacey said...

And what beautiful little boys they are. They are going to have so much fun together!

Elriza Paul said...

Awesome!

Jennifer said...

In another couple of years those two boys will be best buddies:) They are adorable!!