We are the Stow Family and this is our story. Our lives are blessed by Love, Joy and Hope. Follow our sometimes interesting stories on loving our two boys, exploring parenthood, and celebrating a little extra - two parents, two boys and an extra chromosome!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

say a little prayer...

... for my little man Malakai...

We go into tomorrow at 6am and our surgery is scheduled for 7:30am. It is an hour-long procedure (wow... that makes me so nervous) and they're going in there to fetch his little testicle from it's hiding place and bring it down to where it belongs.

I really hope it goes well and that my little boy recovers well!

Any moms out there had any experience with this kind of surgery? Does it hurt afterwards? You know... being 'down there' and all? I really hope it doesn't...

Having said this, I am really grateful that this has been Malakai's only 'issue', knowing full and well how many of the little ones in the Down syndrome community out there have had to endure heart surgeries and the likes.

We'll keep everyone updated!

10 comments:

Jennie said...

Praying for Malakai
Micah had his done (both sides) three days before Christmas, about two weeks before his first birthday. He's a cardiac kid, so we were told that he *might* have to spend an overnight in the hospital, depending on how he recovered from the anesthesia. He rocked it and came home that night. Here's my account of the day: http://anextra21.blogspot.com/2008/12/were-home.html

I didn't post about it after that date. To the best of my recollection, it was not a tough recovery for him after the first day. I'm sure I would have mentioned it if it had bothered him on Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Oh Loren! I'm sending lots and lots of speedy well wishes for your sweet Malakai!♥

I have no experience with this surgery, but I sense it's going to go well. I think it is very common?

Hopefully, recovery will be painfree and quick!

Thinking of you all,
Lee and Gabe

Cheryl said...

My nephew had to have that done when he was a baby.I called my sister and she said that my nephew was a little grumpy and sore for a couple of days but it wasn't too bad.
Praying everything goes well.

Anonymous said...

My son had it. I just knew he'd be inpain. And he was but he never had to take the strong pain meds. Just a little tylenol. I had to make him get up and walk as he was inclined to want to stay in one position.

Within 24 hours you couldn't even tell he had had surgery. Of course, he breezed thru heart surgery too. What brought him down was cutting teeth. What a royal pain he was when his teeth came in. Go figure.

Good luck.


Jan (Stricklin Family Blog on Sarah's list)

Katie's Cakes said...

Hi Loren
Julian had an orchiopexy when he was 10 months old for his undescended testicle and it was a cinch. He had Tylenol with Codeine for pain and other than being a little more sedate than normal you wouldn't have even known he'd had surgery. It healed nicely and didn't ever need to be addressed again afterwards. Barely even a bump in the road for us. Hope it's the same for you all as well!
Sending good thoughts your way for your little man,
Katie Jonker

Lisa Reid said...

Good luck my boy know it will all go well xx

Christine said...

Good luck ~ lots of prayers for Malakai for a quick recovery

Cathy said...

Prayers for quick healing for sweet Malakai!

Stephanie said...

Just saw this post! Hope all went well. Saying a prayer for your Little Man.

Stephanie said...

Aiden had both of his "lowered" when he was 9 months old. Never phased him afterwards