We are the Stow Family and this is our story. Our lives are blessed by Love, Joy and Hope. Follow our sometimes interesting stories on loving our two boys, exploring parenthood, and celebrating a little extra - two parents, two boys and an extra chromosome!

Sunday, December 21, 2008

You are my son








Dearest Malakai,

Today I was going to write a whole long letter about people's thoughts on Down Syndrome and how they shouldn't think this, or say that, or believe whatever! Blah Blah! People are going to believe what they believe until they no longer do... simple.

So! Instead of trying to tell other people what they should think, I thought I'd tell you what I absolutely adore about YOU!
I love it when I wake up in the morning because of the little 'hyperventilating' sounds you are making and I find you, looking up at me, one little leg stuck through the bars of the cot, smiling and sucking your hands!

I love it when I bring you into the bed with me and feed you - your ability to breastfeed being something that babies with Down Syndrome 'shouldn't' be able to do... well... they didn't get you the memo!

I love it when I walk into lounge and you (sitting in your reclining chair) give me the widest smile, your eyes like little half-moons, your nose slightly crinkled up...

I love it when I pick you up and you hold me around my neck - you little hands grasping tightly and your little baby-breath warming my neck.
I love it when you sit on my lap, concentrating on holding your head up, using your little neck to support your head, being so amazingly cute!

I love it when I put you to sleep and you make little moaning sounds... into the crook of my arm...

I love it when I get to kiss your tummy, so soft it seems it is made from pure innocence...

I love it when you lie asleep, tired from a busy day... snoring ever so softly... And then when you wake up and smile at me like I've just caught you doing something naughty!

I love it when you learn something new... it is amazing to see the world through your eyes.

I love seeing you through your daddy's eyes - you have created a new man, a father, a nurturer, a provider, a protector, a giver, a beautiful man.

I love the mother you have brought out of me...

You are all my Reasons for Being,
Love,
Mom

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful words from a Beautiful Mother! You are an inspriation dear Loren - your words are so gentle, so caring, so loving, so perfect! You have a beautiful little boy who is clearly the love of your life! God bless!

Deqlan said...

Dear Darryl, Loren and Kai,

What beautiful words and pics - Kai you are to gorgeous! Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, especially as it will be Kai's first! May 2009 be the most amazing year for you all, full of love and laughter, health and happiness, dreams reached, new sights set - thank you for being wonderful friends, inpsirations and for all your support for our beautiful Deqlan. Merry Merry Christmas, God Bless, Lots of love Mark Samm Deqlan Logan