We are the Stow Family and this is our story. Our lives are blessed by Love, Joy and Hope. Follow our sometimes interesting stories on loving our two boys, exploring parenthood, and celebrating a little extra - two parents, two boys and an extra chromosome!

Monday, January 19, 2009

Confident enough to fail...

Dearest Malakai,

Today I read something on a fellow blogger's page (www.missmagic.blogspot.com) that struck such a cord with me. It is about being confident enough, comfortable enough in your own skin to be able to fail.

"Fail mommy? Why would I want to fail?" I hear you ask.

Well... it's not so much about wanting to fail and more about not being scared to try.

"Oooohhh..."

Not being scared to be you, even if others don't understand you. Not being scared to fall down, because you will just get up again. Not being scared to try again when the first time wasn't a success. Not being scared to say 'I don't know' so that you can learn more. Not being scared to not be the best, and enjoying it anyway!

This is more than I have been able to do in my life so far. You will be my teacher, beautiful boy. I hope that you will be the one to show me how to not be afraid of being me, of falling, of not knowing, of failing... because to fail is to learn and become and grow.

Thank you Carol for your words (below):

My job is to help her develop the self confidence to fail, as well as to succeed -- and maybe, just maybe, the world will catch up with her!

Lyrics

This time, I'll be sailing
No more bailing boats for me
I'll be out here on the sea
Just my confidence and me

And I'll be awful sometimes
Weakened to my knees
But I'll learn to get by
On the little victories

This time, I'll have no fear
I'll be standing strong and tall
Turn my back towards them all

And I'll be awful sometimes
Weakened to my knees
I'll learn to get by
And I'll learn to get by
On the little victories
And if the world decides to catch up with me
It's a little victory.

You are all my Reasons for Being,
Love,
Mom

5 comments:

My name is Sarah said...

Beautiful.

Life As I Know It... said...

Stunning, Stunning, Stunning message!

Anonymous said...

The dictionary definition of failure is 'unsuccessful'. Well, of course we are initially unsuccessful to varying degrees as we learn something new.
The correct definition of failure is 'practice'. Courage and determination to keep on trying until we are... successful!
Failure is the only path towards understanding and growth.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful. I'm not surprised, though. I think you're a wonderful partner for Malakai -- yes, his mother, but in many ways his follower and teacher.

Cathy said...

Beautiful...thanks for sharing.

Found your blog through BBC :)