We are the Stow Family and this is our story. Our lives are blessed by Love, Joy and Hope. Follow our sometimes interesting stories on loving our two boys, exploring parenthood, and celebrating a little extra - two parents, two boys and an extra chromosome!

Monday, February 16, 2009

Maybe I'm just hormonal...

...but I could just stick my head underground and stay there for a couple of months!

*warning... this is about to get mushy*

I am having a 'save the world' week... By this I mean that I take a whole bunch of stuff that I have absolutely no control over and worry about it until my head runs around in circles... it's definitely the hormones I think... urgh!!

The global financial crisis, local crime, orphaned children, captive animals & the destruction of our natural resources - it's all so scary and so overwhelming! I just don't know when people decided it was ok to discriminate, take without giving back, abuse and look the other way... How do they sleep at night? Do they sleep at night? Is it any of my business what their sleeping patterns are?

I think it has something to do with becoming a mother - all of a sudden my actions (their actions) are shaping the future for my son. What I do today has a direct effect on my son's tomorrow.

Can I change most of the things that I fear? Poverty, crime, pollution, greed, disrespect? I realise that I cannot have much effect on something that is happening on the other side of the world... but I can change my family, my work environment and the small community around me. I can choose to switch off the unnecessary lights, conserve fuel, eat organic, rescue the stray dog on my block, save a little extra, raise awareness, smile at a stranger, offer help where it's needed. Those are things I can do. Today. For my son's tomorrow.

So, *with hormones raging* I am really going to try to do just my little bit. Nothing extravagant, just simple acts of sensibility in a world that seems to have lost it's direction somewhat. I can make an effort to keep my little world as peaceful and positive as it can be, for Malakai.

Be the Change you want to see in the World
(Ghandi)
(sorry for the rant...)
Loren

4 comments:

The Hapa Girl said...

You make changes one moment at a time! Baby steps!

Brandie said...

Just live what you believe. I agree, be the change.

Signe said...

I've always loved that quote: thank you for sharing it. Life is such an incredible journey. Even the sad/bad/hard parts are just part of the over all experience. Thanks for being on the road with me!

Anonymous said...

I've often thought that the people who become therapists (and other service professionals) have a "save the world" gene. chkl. I grew (matured or overcame the effects of hormones) to understand that my abilities offered me to only save one child, at a time. It has to be enough. It is all I can do. Barbara