We are the Stow Family and this is our story. Our lives are blessed by Love, Joy and Hope. Follow our sometimes interesting stories on loving our two boys, exploring parenthood, and celebrating a little extra - two parents, two boys and an extra chromosome!

Sunday, February 22, 2009

This and that...

I'll take two... thanks...
What????

Really... What????

Moms! Can't leave us alone!!

I feel as though my life revolves squarely around Home, Work, Eat & Sleep... four points... day after day.

That is not to say that I am not incredibly grateful for my life, my family and my work - I am blessed beyond all measure! It is just that... well... I need to get into my 'new' life as a mommy. After 28 years of doing my own thing really, I need to consider the needs of another little person and this includes going back to my full-time job in order to ensure we are financially secure enough to provide for our son at the moment.

The long and the short of it??? Get to the point???

I don't really have much news. Exciting news.

It is really the day-to-day stuff of life, the stuff that makes up a family's life together - this 'stuff' is worth celebrating and embracing because it means we are ok.
So! My week?
Malakai is doing fantastic (as usual!). He still loves his food and is getting much better at controlling his mid-section while *attempting* to sit. He has recently decided that he only wants Joyce (his nanny) or me to feed him though... keeping me thoroughly busy while my dear husband watches on, unable to assist...

We attended our first Down syndrome Parents Evening on Friday. The experience was completely awkward, sitting around a sparsely furnished room in a circle of white chairs, with a bunch of people we would never have ordinarily met, all because we share an extra chromosome in our family... Other than the obvious feelings of being uncomfortable - it went off quite well! There are many babies in the group and local area and we have decided to meet once a month - so I am sure where there is now awkwardness will soon be interest, then sharing and then (hopefully) friendship - for both us and our children! The group is a local division of our National Down Syndrome Association and they offer many great services such as therapy, linking parents together, outreach programmes, placement of our children in integrated schooling and eventually opportunities in the open job market. They came to see me when Malakai was first born, and I have found that they have always been open, friendly and completely supportive.

Otherwise, our weekend has (as always) been just too short! It was Caden's 1st birthday party on Saturday (little love-bug)! It was great to lie under the trees, enjoy burgers and play with our kiddos!

Ok - so four points... that's it! Nothing really exciting...

9 comments:

The Sanchez Family said...

What a cutie!!! I can't get enough of him :)!! Oh and the warm summer days you are experiencing are a sharp contrast to our cold, wet ones right now :)!!! Makes me long for spring and summer but it'll be here in California before we know it!

Cathy said...

Malakai is so handsome!

Unknown said...

Oh Loren what an awesome treat to see the beautiful photos of Malakai - wow they are ones to treasure! Was lovely seeing you both on the weekend and its always a pleasure to play and hold little Malakai! Samm and I were saying on the phone yesterday just how adorable he is and how cute his little smile is and of coarse that hairstyle! Anyway my friend have a lovely week and God bless!

Life As I Know It... said...

Hi Loren,

As always, stunning pictures of Malakai.. He is absolutely gorgeous.. Such a little handsome young man..

Have a great week.

Claire

Laurie said...

Gorgeous pictures!! Malakai is just so cute! And Im with Jennifer - looks like your weather is a whole lot nicer than ours!!

Great news about meeting up with other families as well. : )

Beth said...

Good for you with the DS group. The friendship will come--keep at it and soon you will all be family!

Malakai gets cuter with every post! How can that be?

Lisa said...

Soooo sweet! He looks really soft :)...

Dustin and Kelly said...

Your life is my life! I get up, go to work, come home, cook dinner, clean up after dinner, put to kids to bed and pass out from the exhaustion of it all. I love my kids and love my life, but, whew, I could use a little break! You will soon cherish your new friends. They will be a wealth of support, information and camaraderie as you walk down this less traveled, yet amazing new road!

Anonymous said...

The group is a really GREAT idea and exciting, too. Your pics of Malakai are so darn cute!